Monday, September 8, 2008

I made it an am doing great!

Well, I made it through surgery and am now a little more than a month out and am doing well. I am down 49 pounds and have so much more energy. I am sorry that I have neglected my blog. I did post about my surgery on my profile at www.obesityhelp.com - my user name there is luvey. I have copied and pasted my post from there below.

n August 6, 2008 8:53 pm
Published
I have been meaning to post here since returning home from the hospital last week and just haven't had the energy to do much of anything.

But, here I am ...........wanting to let you know how everything went.

The day of the surgery I arrived at the hospital at 515am. There was a flurry of activity, they weighed me, asked a bunch of questions, started an IV, and I met with the anesthesiologist. At about 7am the nurse came in and put some versed in my iv line to calm me down and she also gave me a shot of blood thinner in the thigh. I was wheeled into surgery at 730am.

I got out of recovery and was taken to my room at 315pm. My surgery was from 730am til' around 11:15am and then I was taken to the recovery room. I spent a little longer in recovery because they had to stabalize my breathing before moving me. I have 5 small cuts in my belly .

I was really out of it when they brought me to my room. I don't remember much of my conversation with my hubby or son. I was on morphine drip and the morphine pca pump for pain. My doctor told my DH that the surgery went great.

The morning following surgery, I was up and walking around, the more you walk the better it is as far as gas pains. I had the blow up compression thingies on my legs following surgery and for the first night. They took them off the morning after surgery. I was taken to xray for a "leak" test. I had to drink some awful tasting stuff and they took pictures of my abdomen. The test went fine - no leaks.

I received another shot of blood thinner and they also tested my sugar each day, it was high so they gave me shots of insulin. I don't have diabetes, so this was quite a surprise. The nurse told me it was just because of the surgery and I wouldn't need the shots after I returned home.

When I got back to my room the nurse brought me my water and little 1 oz medicine cups. I had to sip the water - 30 of those little cups - making each ounce of water last 15 minutes. They also brought me small juice glasses half way full with sugar free carnation instant breakfast to get some protein in.

On the day of my discharge they upped me to full liquids and I was able to have a 1/2 cup of pureed healthy choice soup 3 times a day in addition to the sf carnation instant breakfast they brought.

I was discharged after 2 1/2 days there. I have had NO appetite and no hunger at all. I have to remind myself to eat.I am extremely tired and am on loratab elixir for pain.

I had to go back into the hospital on Sunday because I spiked a fever of 101.4 and they were worried about a leak. I was admitted for observation and they did a bunch of tests. It all turned out fine and they were not really sure why I was running the fever. I was discharged on Monday.

I am still on the liquid diet. 3 small protein shakes a day, 3 meals a day which can be a 1/2 a cup of pureed Healthy Request Soup, Sugar Free Pudding, or Sugar Free Yogurt. I am having a real hard time getting my "meals" in, just focusing on my protein and water for now until I can put more stuff in my tummy.

I still have pain in my abdomen, but it is lessening each day. I am more tired than anything.

No comments: